Thursday, October 25, 2018

Have thine own way, Lord

South Africa Team 1824 Blog #9
10-25-2018

“Have Thine Own Way, Lord”

Wow, what an interesting day! All I can say is, this wasn’t our plan, but it all worked out. This morning we were driven by Knut to a remote locale to the south and east of where we stay.


Here he is! Knut serves us every day as our driver, tour guide, babysitter, restaurant-chooser, heavy-thing-carrier, and friend to each of us. And he makes us laugh. We’d be lost without him, literally and figuratively.

We stopped at a compound on a tree-covered hill. We spent some time at this lovely property and enjoyed the flowers and plantings. After staying for a while, we left, because it was the wrong place.
This tree is called, “Yesterday, today, and tomorrow.”

I don’t know what this one was called, but it was gorgeous, so I took a pic. I’ll ask Knut later and plug in the name. Jacaranda! Charlotte knew it.

This is the abject poverty surrounding the lovely complex we visited. Heartbreaking. It’s called an informal settlement, meaning there is no electricity, no water in these homes. If they’re fortunate, there may be a communal outhouse for several families to share. If not as fortunate, a trench, which will eventually be filled in with dirt.

When we were told we were at the wrong place, we loaded the trailer back up, and drove to a school. Since school is in session, we’re setting up outside on the road!


Charlotte and Ruth are entertaining the school kids while the rest of us set up. They’re singing all the active vacation bible school songs they can think of, so the kids who have no English can act along!

Ruth Martin is the new Executive Director of MOST Ministries, and although she’s a very experienced world traveler, this is her first mission trip with MOST. She’s not just an observer, though, Ruth works as hard as any of us!

A nice, shady location for Distribution and Fitting!

Muzi and crew are setting up the ‘waiting room!’

Carol is all set to start pulling spectacles, on a lovely spring day with a nice breeze! So unusual to be outside, but not unheard of. I’m hearing of other mission trips with much worse conditions than outside on a breezy spring day!

We always open our clinic with prayer, sometimes a singing prayer. There are some lovely voices in our MOST group, but when we sing with our local friends, Muzi’s group called Caring Friends, there is an added richness to the a capella music!

Our first clients are just now coming over to Distribution, so it will be our turn next. No crock pot, no candle (stiff breeze), so whatever bending needs to happen will be done by brute force and needle-nosed pliers. Will check in later to give you an update.

It’s evening now, and we’re back at the Mission House. The ladies around me are fixing tomorrow’s lunch, so I have to keep writing or I’ll have to help them.

The unusual setup for our clinic today worked great. God’s will for the students at the school we were diverted to was that for those who needed them, they would receive the gift of spectacles. My forefinger and thumb on my right hand are a little sore from man-handling the glasses into shape without adding heat, but all for a worthy cause.

God’s will WILL be done!


Have Thine Own Way, Lord
Have Thine own way Lord
Have Thine own way
Thou art the potter I am the clay
Mold me and make me after Thy will
While I am waiting yielded and still
Have Thine own way Lord
Have Thine own way
Search me and try me Master today
Whiter than snow Lord wash me just now
As in Thy presence humbly I bow
Have Thine own way Lord
Have Thine own way
Hold over my being absolute sway
Filled with Thy spirit till all can see
Christ only always living in me

Love to the folks back home!

Respectfully Submitted,
Linda Meier
Missionary (!)

6 comments:

  1. Linda, I can hear your voice while I read. Amazing blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's molding you as you mold the spectacle frames! Thanks for the posts, Linda! Love following along with you... from a distance. Prayers!
      Peter Meier

      Delete
  2. My favorite part was imagining the "singing" with the kids who knew no English!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you bring a candle/matches?? Might save your fingers for heating & molding. You could sit on them..hahahahs..I can hear you singing now !!

    ReplyDelete