Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Spur one another on to love and good deeds

South Africa Team 1824 Blog #7
10-23-2018

“Spur one another on to love and good deeds”

South Africa and this experience are wonderful, and I’m having fun with the blog; hope you are too. Thank you for your comments! Please remember to leave your name within the comment so we know who you are.

I was asked about the bugs here, since a previous blog post might have mentioned that I hate them. The only bugs I’ve run across are the ones in the Mission House where seven of us ladies are living. They are ants. Tiny, nasty ants. I mentioned to one of the guys that “those are African ants.” He asked me how I knew. I said, “We’re in Africa, and those are ants.”

The weather has really been nice! It’s springtime here, so we have lovely cool sleeping temps, and it warms up nicely during the day. So far, it’s only been hot for a few hours in the afternoon, when the clinic is jammed full of potential clients. Even so, many of the South African ladies are bundled up as though it’s February in Michigan.


Introducing Muzi (Moozee), Pastor Khumalo’s son, who is the Director of the brand new Caring Friends Eyeglass Clinic with whom we are working so closely. Next to him is a member of his team, working as receptionist. I can neither say or spell her name, God bless her. And she did not want her picture taken, which I think is what Muzi was laughing at.

See if you recognize any of the people in these pictures from our clinic today:


You won’t recognize these people unless you have visited Mhluzi, Middelburg, South Africa. The teachers at the Lutheran grade school attached to St. Peter Church were our first clients today, and each of them, including the director, left with new glasses.



David and Judy worked the Nursing Station at the beginning of the day, checking eyes for maladies. Yes, they knew they were being photographed, and chose not to look up. But look at the little smirk on David’s face…


This lovely lady was at the testing station, being tested by Lynne to approximate a prescription. They both found it funny that I said, “Look natural.”

.

Somehow I only got the back of Ruth’s head when showing all of you a young man being tested! Sorry Ruth, I promise you a face shot real soon.


Jean helping Muzi do testing in another room.


Carol is shown here in the Distribution Station pulling glasses for the clients. If the testing showed a +2.25 for reading glasses (best guess), Carol pulls a +2, a +2.25, and a +2.5 for the client to try on.


Also in the distribution area, Glen and Charlotte are having their clients try on the three different prescriptions Carol pulled for them, and will ask them to read scripture verses in different sizes to see which of the three best suits.


Last but not least, we have arrived at the Fitting Station where I’ve worked beside my new best friend Hazel for two days. The client’s head is bowed, not for prayer, but to see if his glasses will fall off.


And here’s me, doing what Hazel does. I got the window seat. That’s the tiny crock pot of salt I mentioned yesterday, and I’m dipping this man’s glasses into the pot to heat them so I can bend them to the shape of his ear.


Sandy, the fearless and unflappable (mostly) team leader of South Africa Team 1824! Sandy spends the day here and there, overseeing and fighting fires, and none of this could be pulled off without her.

Love to all the folks at home!

Respectfully Submitted,
Linda Meier
Missionary (!)

5 comments:

  1. Sounds better than you expected..cooler and tiny bugs ! Enjoying your mission thru blog and pics ! -Sue N....QT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work 😁. I am enjoying your blog .
    Ellen QT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and pictures! Continuing to pray for the team and the work you are doing in South Africa.
    Amy from Sioux Falls

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the good work Mom!!
    Bill from Wayne, MI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best part of my morning is reading your blog, Momma. I can only imagine how much Christ is radiating out of you and the team as you do His work for His people. I pray for spiritual guidance and fulfillment for both sides as you continue. Lots of love, Emily M

    ReplyDelete